Nearest Town: Lichada
Date Established: 1892
Focal Plane: 31 feet (9 meters)
Height of Tower: 31.8 feet (9.7 meters)
Characteristics: occulting white every 5 seconds with a green sector
Ships must a bottleneck at the northwestern tip of Evvia where the Oren Strait rounds Vasilina Point into the northern gulf of Evvia. The channel turns sharply south and is only 1.75 miles (2.8 kilometers) wide off the point. A swift tidal stream rushes through the area and a shoal extends some distance off the point. These factors easily explain why a lighthouse was built on Vasilina point in 1892.
The 1916 Mediterranean Pilot noted “ A flashing light green over the dangers to the southward and white elsewhere is exhibited at an elevation of 33 feet from a square masonry tower 31 feet high on cape Vasilina. It is visible 11 miles in the white and 6 miles in the green sectors.”
The same square masonry tower stands today adjoining the west side of a square dwelling. A shell strewn beach surrounds the lighthouse on three sides. The fourth order fixed Fresnel lens is still in use. An automatic electric beacon creates the occulting light that flashes white 4 seasons then dims one second. There is a green sector that covers 16 degrees. Depending on where a ship is located in the channel the light appears white or green. The white light a range of 14 miles (22.5 kilometers) and the green light shows for 11 miles (17.7 kilometers). Navy personnel use the lighthouse as a vacation rental. It is not open to the public but the grounds are accessible via a dirt coastal road from Lichada.