Nearest Town: Lichada
Date Established: 1870
Focal Plane: 135 feet (41 meters)
Height of Tower: 33.8 feet (10.3 meters)
Characteristics: two white flashes every 10 seconds with red sectors
The Lichades Islands create an obstacle for ships off the northwestern tip of Evvia Island at the confluence of the Gulf of Evvia and the Maliakos Gulf. Strongyli Lighthouse and its neighboring Argyronisos Lighthouse provide safe navigation through this tricky area.
The tower rises from a square single story dwelling and is surrounded by trees. Its fifth order Fresnel lens had red sectors to help ships stay in the channel and avoid a dangerous shoal 300 yards (247 meters) east of the island. In 2001 the antique lens was replaced by a 500mm Optiko lens made by Pharos Marine. The white light is visible 12 miles (19 kilometers) and the red light shows for 9 miles (14.5 kilometers). The lighthouse is not open to the public and can be reached only by private boat.
Strongyli means round and legend tells that the island was named for the round head of King Lissas killed by Hercules. The king sank into the Gulf of Evvia and only the top of his head remains visible.